Monday, December 19, 2005

Where to go?

So, one issue is Where to go?

On the one hand, sailing really isn't about the destination. If it were, you wouldn't sail there. Sailing there is relatively slow (maybe 5 or 6 MPH if things are going well), sometimes uncomfortable, and always indirect. That means that the process is what is important, including the slowness, the discomfort, and the back and forth edging toward the end.

Still, although going out and sailing back and forth for a few hours is good, It's also good to have someplace to go, maybe a harbor or anchorage where you can drop the hook and appreciate the journey. In Lake Erie a lot of the shoreline is relatively "smooth." The harbors can be few and far between. The exception is a the western end, where there are bays and islands.

So what do I want to do here?

Well, eventually, I want to head toward the ocean. For now, though, the start is to explore Lake Erie, perhaps a circumnavigation. I'll have to find out what one has to do to cross into Canada. After that, it's up into other lakes. In particular, I want to do Lake Huron, especially Georgian Bay.

1 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger Sailfree said...

Well, I have some of the Dovekie. I used to have a site about that boat that was actually one of the few around. It has been linked to from a variety of places. I think I'll put it back up over the holidays. The biggest site about that boat (and some others) seems to be Shallow Water Sailors: http://www.shallowwatersailor.us/

No pix from sailing yet, since I'm just trying to get back into it. I'll put up what I have sooner or later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home