Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Harder than it looks?

Sailing is a more physically demanding sport than it may look. I spent 10 hours or so sailing on Saturday, and by Sunday I was stiff and sore. I already considered the idea that it might have something to do with me being 55 and living a basically sedentary lifestyle.

Naw.

In addition to using a lot of different muscle groups in jumping around the boat, hauling in the jib sheet, raising and lowering sails, there's also just the constant movement of the boat and the need to adapt to... to obtain and use one's "sea legs" if you will.

Aside from those things, there is the wear and tear on things like one's hands. I find that typing on a computer keyboard does not toughen the hands for rope work. And that's not even considering what would happen to them if one got caught between the jib sheet and the winch.

Finally, there's the question of the sun. I would like my marina to provide a sunscreen dip, preferably with SPF 500 or so. I'm one of those who doesn't tan; I pink. I seem to have developed a system, though. Apply sunscreen cream early one and then spray more on every hour or two until late afternoon. I also have a couple of good sailing hats, and sunglasses with UV protection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home