Where is home base?
One of the the boats that I looked at was in a sailing club in Fairport Harbor. That was an interesting arrangement, sort of a boating condominium. I wrote to them to see what it would cost to join but never received an answer. It seemed a good place to keep a boat, a little over an hour away. The problem, as with many of the harbors on Erie, is that you either go out sailing and come rignt back or you hop from harbor to harbor, probably paying dock fees every night. I have also checked out Geneva-on-the-Lake and at least one marina in Cleveland, which have the same characteristic.
The exceptions are at the western end of the lake: Sandusky, the islands, etc. The marina that used to have the Morgan for sale is on Catawba Island. Access to the lake is through a narrow channel, which generally means that you want to have a working engine for safety. The advantage is that you spend an hour more in the car, but don't have to spend so much time sailing from one interesting spot to another.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home