New Experiences
Well, that was an interesting experience. I actually motored out into the Lake, sailed around for several hours, and then returned to my slip under my own power. Kind of makes the whole thing more enjoyable. Not that the new (used) outboard didn't give me a moment or two. I practiced starting it a few times in the slip, and it was quite responsive, needing only one or two tries mostly. However, when I went to start it on the way back in, the first several tries seemed completely fruitless, without even the sound of the motor trying to turn over. A few more pulls on the starter cord were all it took, however, and soon the motor was humming away.
OK, so maybe I can do this without always worrying about whether I'm going to get back. That could reduce one source of anxiety. Other than that, the two scariest times in going sailing with this boat are leaving the slip and getting back in. The anxiety level goes through the roof as the time approaches for leaving the dock. The process of leaving the slip takes less than a minute and after that it isn't so bad, but..... One of the problems is retrieving the remaining dock lines and getting underway before the wind pushes me places I don't want to go (e.g. hitting the dock wall 12 feet to port). When I returned to the slip this afternoon, I brought her in almost perfectly: I was barely moving and less than a foot from the dock when I shifted to neutral. Good thing that someone on shore voluntarily came over to help, though, because, again, I just don't quite know how to get the dock lines secured, even temporarily, before the wind and current move me out of position. At least not by myself. I really do need someone to come with me sometimes.
I also need a lot more practice, not just with undocking and docking, but at sailing. At least some of the skills are there but are very rusty. I had trouble today pointing very high into the wind, which meant that, with the wind from the north, I didn't get all that far from shore. I know I can improve, but it's clear that I need a lot of practice.
Perhaps with the outboard, I'll be able to get it.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home