Saturday, January 21, 2012

It's been a long time

Well, somehow I managed to miss posting here for all of last season. And now it is January again. Its' a little early to start thinking too much about the 2012 sailing season in some ways, but there is still a lot to do and think about, I guess.

I was up at the lake probably less last summer than I have been any year since, maybe, the first year. Probably did less sailing, too. I'm not sure I remember exactly why, though. Part of it was a late start. April was cold and wet, and I didn't get the boat ready in time for my scheduled launch date. After that, it was a matter of waiting until they could fit me in again. Part of it was probably just work issues preventing me from being there as much as usual. Part of it might have been just the lack of people willing to come sailing.

I do recall my last sail of the season, in late October. It was as near a perfect sailing day as I have experienced. The wind was moderate but steady. Occasionally, it seemed to be dying but it always came back. I didn't really want to come in, but eventually I did. Keith and Debby, a few slips down, must have gotten back with the bridge a half hour earlier. I went down to talk to Keith, and he looked up with a huge grin. He had had a perfect day, too. I made it my last sail partly just because it would have been impossible to match or exceed.

So, there's a whole sailing season summarized in a couple of paragraphs. I guess it's a good reason to try to post more often, such as after every sail!

Anyway, now it's the off-season. So what am I doing now? And why write now?

Well, I worked the Great Lakes Cruising Club booth at the Cleveland Boat Show a week ago. I haven't been active with them at all, but this seemed like an opportunity to meet them and see what else is going on. OK, I admit it: I also haven't done much actual cruising in the Great Lakes yet, either.

And actually, working the booth was somewhat motivational in that area. I worked with a long-term member of the club who has circumnavigated all five of the lakes (four of them twice, the exception being Michigan). He was interesting to talk to about sailing and, unlike some, not overbearing about what he has done and things like that. One of his points was that I should be spending my time now planning a summer cruise. He has a point, but I don't know that my schedule it going to allow it. We'll see. I would like to get up to Georgian Bay and Lake Superior, to name two.

I also talked with our relief when our shift was over. The woman is Secretary of hte Akron Power Squadron, which reminded me that I've been thinking of getting back into that. So before I went home I stopped by the USPS booth. And now, I am a reinstated member and taking the basic Piloting class. I have a few of the classes under my belt, but some of them are decades ago. I do have weather from maybe ten years, give or take, and part of Cruise Planning. Anyway, I may try to just get through them all, I figure 3-4 years, given their long-range schedule. Engine Maintenance starts soon, too.

Well, I've got more to say, but I'll save it for another day.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home