More work done and a lot more to come!
Spent another day at the marina. One or two of these weekends, I'm going to have to spend Saturday night up there so that I can work for several hours on both Saturday and Sunday. The water is all out and I have cleaned most of the interior at this point. I'm using a cleaner with bleach, which should help keep down mildew. The drawers and a couple of cabinet doors are still sticking, and there are some places which are just plain difficult or impossible to reach for cleaning.
With the water out, the humidity should go down. I bought an electric "dryer" or dehumidifier, which I will try to run next week (I haven't tested the electronics yet, preferring to let things dry out some more before I do). I'm hoping that some of the wood will shrink a bit. Along with some sanding, that might unstick things.
On the positive side, the bottom doesn't seem to me that is is going to require sanding before painting. Pretty smooth; it just needs a coat of anti-fouling paint to keep it clean this season. That shouldn't take too long. I've been kind of watching some of the other folks at the boatyard to see how they handle things, since I'm not exactly the handiest guy around. I try to learn from observation....
This was a big weekend at the marina. Temps were up in the 70s, and it seemed like half the people with boats there were working on them. Very few are in the water yet. In fact, on our side of B dock, the finger piers aren't even in the water yet. I still have a few weeks left before my launch date. I'm thinking that if I get done what I hope to do this Spring, I can launch early next year, assuming that I avoid semi-disasters like a boatful of water.
So, next week, I plan to scrub down the hull and deck and begin sanding and varnishing the wood. I should also be able to do a number of very minor repairs. I bought some materials for repairing small nicks in the the gelcoat, but I forgot to bring them home with me. I need to read the instructions before I try anything. One big thing that I need to do is remove the panelling from the front of the refrigerator and clean out in there.
Well, next weekend it'll be back to work. Still, I find that I'd sooner do that than most things here at home. Something, I guess.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home