Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Good day but variable winds


We are back on contract at the university this week, but last week I went up to the lake on Friday. I had a long row upriver Friday evening. I went far enough for me to be unsure that I would return before sunset, but I did. On Saturday, one of my doctoral students came up for a sail. We spent hours out there, but the winds didn't always cooperate. Everytime it seemed to be picking up enough to keep us moving, it turned out to be just a tease. You can sort of see it in the above picture.

We got caught in the middle (twice) of a cigarette boat race--those long, thin, extremely fast and loud boats that annoy the hell out of me. Fortunately, when they are up on a plane they do not generate too much wake.

Overall, though, I'm looking for a day when I have a crew and the winds are about 5-7 knots more than they were on Saturday. The having a crew part is nice, though. Much easier at certain key points, such as in and out of the dock and raising and lowering sails.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home