Monday, September 14, 2009

Mixed Weekend

Well, it's mid-September already. The season has gone quickly. I went to the marina office and arranged for haulout in a few weeks. By paying for winter storage now, I got free haulout, although all the other things--mast unstepping, pressure washing, etc.--still cost. Depressing, though. The season will end soon. Given that there will likely be some weekends with bad weather, there won't be that many sailing days left.

Not that I take full advantage of the ones I have. Saturday was pretty windy in the morning but by noon or so it was probably a good sailing day. Instead, I was involved with some other projects: some rope work, and I've been tring to make some videos for the ID course. I want to use sailing as a metaphor for instructional design. Haven't had a chance to see if they are any good. Probably not, but.... I did walk and kayak for an hour on Saturday. Sunset is coming so early now that I have trouble getting up to the lake in time to do much before it gets dark.

Sunday had a reasonable forecast for wind. I got up by seven and took a long walk. Then I rowed up river. After breakfast, I got the boat ready and ended up catching the noon bridge opening. Trouble was, the predicted winds of 5 to 15 knots in the afternoon never materialized, at least while I was out. I headed north until about 1400 and then came about and steered back to Port Clinton. I tried to shoot another video comparing the frustration of trying to sail without wind (actually it got very slightly better) with the frustration of designing instruction and teaching when it doesn't go well. This led into talking about formative evaluation. Again, I doubt it will be usable, but I'm getting into it. It's fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home