A new season... and a new try at blogging regularly
Well, still having trouble writing regularly here, clearly. Here's another try.
I got a very late start this season. Work pressures kept me from getting the boat ready through most of April. Then immediately after the semester ended, I went with my sister Bonnie to take care of some things at my Mom's house in North Carolina, which took about a week. Apparently my absence was noted on B dock, since people were asking around to find out whether I was going to be there this season. Nice to be wanted, I guess.
When I finally got the boat in the water on May 30, the outboard motor died on the way from the launch area to my slip. This was especially irritating because I had asked the marina to check it out thoroughly before launch specifically to avoid problems like that. It was also dangerous because the wind was picking up and pushing me across the river toward a grounding. I got it restarted for a minute or two, just enough to give me the momentum to get tied up along the outer bulkhead of the marina. Then I got them to tow me to the slip.
It took them a week to even get started on fixing the motor and bilge pump, so I missed two weekends of sailing waiting for a working motor. I sometimes wish that I weren't dependent on a motor, but the fact is I am, as are just about everyone else at the marina. The Portage River through Port Clinton makes a dogleg from the lake to the main part of the river, then goes under drawbridge that must be open fo sailboats to pass. It opens only every half hour (if boats are waiting). There are few wind directions that would allow one to sail out of the river and then back in to the marina. Plus, the timing must be near perfect, since circling under sail in a crowded river would be difficult and stressful. I did manage to sail back up the river as far as the yacht club once, but the timing was all wrong for the bridge, so I got a tow from there. All that means that a reliable motor essentially makes the sailing possible for most of us.
They did at last fix the motor, however ($350!), and it seems to be fine. Certainly they replaced enough parts. Another sailor told me of another place where he takes his outboard who do it quickly and reliably, so I think I'll try them next Spring. I'm also still considering a new one: a four-cycle, 8 HP, long-shaft Honda. It's only drawbacks are 1. cost and 2. size (it's a little bigger and heavier).
Anyway, though, sailing finally happened yesterday! In fact, it was one of the best sailing days I've ever had. That's kind of interesting, since another of my best sailing days was the last sail of last season in October.
What made it such a good day? Lots of things, but mostly the weather. The wind shifted a round a little but it was generally from the southeast or so. That meant that it was coming off the land, and the waves had little fetch to build up. The wind must have been 10 to 15 MPH most of the time (I measure 20 MPH at one point, but that was the apparent wind while closehauled). Therefore, a good sailing breeze with almost flat water!. Perfect combination. It also wasn't too hot, especially out on the lake. With the breeze, I didn't sweat all day, at least until I returned to the dock.
The wind direction helped in another way, too. I decided to go around Green Island. Often I just noodle around, back and forth in the general vicinity of Port Clinton. I liked having a destination of sorts. I could have gone to Put-in-Bay, I suppose, but that tends to be crowded on weekends. Actually, the wind died out for a while just before noon, and I actually turned back rather than risk having to wallow back without wind or by motoring. When it picked up again, I again headed out, so my GPS track is a bit complicated at that point. I made really good time most of the day, probably 5 to 6 MPH. The whole sail ended up being over six hours.
It was sort of my shakedown cruise for the season. I found some things that I forgot to prepare correctly (such as the GPS). I also screwed up the roller furling a bit, but I should be able to fix that for the next time out.
All-in-all, a great day.
I was unusually tired that evening. I awoke around 5:30 am and took a long walk with a camera. I returned to the boat and by 7 I was paddling up the river in the kayak. When I returned, I had some breakfast and then prepared the boat to sail. After the sail, I buttoned the boat back up and then walked downtown for something to eat. By 8 or 9 pm, I was ready for sleep, but the sun was still up.
Thunderstorms hit us a bit after 4 am Sunday, with more expected in the afternoon, so I locked things up and returned home.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home