At last another sail
It's been a while, but after Commencement on Saturday I did manage to get up to the marina for the first time in a while. I had been there a couple of weeks earlier in mid-week, but didn't go sailing then. That's OK, I sleep better up at the lake.
Anyway, back to Saturday...
It turns out that my absence was noted. A lot of people had been asking around wondering if I was OK and where I was. There haven't been any real problems, just too many things to do. I didn't get there until late afternoon on Saturday, so I didn't sail then. I did kayak, though. The next day, Sunday, I did catch the 11:30 bridge opening. Sailing was good for a while but around 2 pm, the wind really died away almost completely. I had felt it coming, but not nearly early enough, so I was still a couple of miles from port when I came to a screeching halt (or at least what passes for it on the water!). I read for while as I drifted along at one knot or less. Before 4 pm I finally got the motor going and headed in. I really hate motoring, since the propeller cavitates with every passing wave, even small ones, and progress is very slow. I caught the 5 pm or 5:30 bridge.
I don't know whether it was the light winds or something else, but I had a lot of trouble pointing very high into the wind on Sunday as well as difficulty clawing my way to windward as I tacked. Need to check that. I'm considering having the boatyard remove the inboard engine as well as sandblasting the bottom and repainting over the winter. It'll be thousands of dollars, though. Perhaps that money would be better saved for a new boat in a couple of years. Actually, I really like the Island Packet 31 that is for sail at the marina. Right size. Not fast, but stable and tough. It could be about right for living aboard.
I stayed over Sunday night, too, and went kayaking again on Monday morning. I paddled all the way up to the highway bridge. I can go an hour and a half (and several miles) without stopping. And with still doing some sprints at the end of it. Definitely getting in better shape.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home